About

Magazines & Anthologies
Rampant Loon Media LLC
Our Beloved Founder and Editor-in-Chief
Our SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Follow us on Facebook!


MAGAZINES & ANTHOLOGIES

Read them free on Kindle Unlimited!
 

 

 

 

 

Blog Archive

Sunday, November 8, 2009

And the winner is...

I wasn't sure how well this challenge would go over with everyone. Writing children's stories is an interest of mine but many authors, even those with children, have little interest in the field. Six entries from four writers is a better turn out than I had hoped for.

As usual, we have a wide range of entries. This week the range seems wider than usual, encompassing true stories, picture books for very young children and stories for older children.

torainfor - "Nasosi's Story" definitely stands on its own. The traditional folk tale plot appeals to the storyteller in me. I particularly like how none from the land were able to speak to the brother who was a fish. I do wonder what happened to the mother of the bird-fish-girl, who we never hear about after she has delivered the story's heroine, but that happens in folk tales from time to time, as well. The shark's "Wanna bet" line was jarring, as it seemed a more modern turn of phrase than the rest of the story. Otherwise, everything flowed extremely well!

miko - At first I thought I'd be cute and write my critique in rhyme. But I have neither than talent nor time. And that's all the rhyming you get from me. Miko, on the other hand, channeled his inner Dr. Seuss in a wonderful rhyming story. With a bit of polishing, I could see this being run in Ladybug (a magazine for ages 3 - 6, the link is to their submissions guidelines). Great stuff!

Tom - How cool must it have been for your daughters to be able to read picture books created for them by their dad and starring themselves? There wasn't any real plot, but that wasn't the object of the books. I hope you save the books so your grandchildren, when they come along, can also read those books granddad created for mommy. Wonderful work.

passinthrough - "The House That Dad Built" is, once again, a story from a place, time and life very different from my own (and, I suspect, that of most of us here at the Friday Challenge). Despite having trailers and televisions and all the normal trappings of modern life, the story is like those many of us read in history books about barn raisings and people pitching in to help simply because that's what neighbors do. (Not that our neighbors didn't pitch in to help each other when I was growing up, but it it was for things like putting up a basketball goal rather than walls to a house.) "Deer Hunting" is another great slice of life story. You write as casually about hopping on a horse and riding into the nearby wilderness as I would about stopping at the gas station to fill my car with gas. And reading about the ranch dinner made me hungry, even though I've just finished eating. Again, you've given all of us a look into an every-day world far different from our own.

Judging this week was tough. First of all, I liked all of the entries; torainfor for the great folk tale feel of her story, miko for the rhyming and critters leading the boy astray and then home again, Tom for the love and care that went into creating those books for his daughter and passinthrough for allowing us, however briefly, to enter her world. And I'll note that you voters didn't help any by all voting for different entries!

I liked all of the entries but there can only be one winner this week. In end, I have to go with miko and his neat little rhyming story. So, miko, come on down and select your prize from behind Door #3!

Great job, everyone! I only hope next week's challenge is as hard to judge as this one was.
blog comments powered by Disqus