About

Magazines & Anthologies
Rampant Loon Media LLC
Our Beloved Founder and Editor-in-Chief
Our SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Follow us on Facebook!


MAGAZINES & ANTHOLOGIES

Read them free on Kindle Unlimited!
 

 

 

 

 

Blog Archive

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Critical Thinking: A Random List

No, I didn't get to that in-depth analysis comparing Twilight with Harry Potter yet. And, yes, I know some of you are cheering that fact. Truth is, the topic keeps getting bigger the longer I think about it.

In the meantime, I thought I'd shell out a list of websites I've discovered--many through comments on this blog--that I use for writing.

Patricia C. Wrede
Word Count
Query Letters
Taxes
Self Publishing vs. Vanity Publishing
Turkey City Lexicon
Choosing an Agent
The Secret Diaries
Sherwood Smith
Big Fat Prize

A lot of these I look at so infrequently I didn't even remember them. However, there is one absolute stand-out that I can't plug enough. Jeff Gerke's Fiction Writing Tips has even been compiled into book form. It is plugged as tips for Christian books, but most of the advice is universal. The "Christian" bit comes into play when he describes what Christian publishers are least likely to accept--like swearing, drinking vampires with questionable sexual tendencies.

Speaking of books, here's a list of some I have and some I'd like to have:

Eats Shoots and Leaves (Warning, this book was written by a Brit, and subtle differences with American punctuation are not particularly illuminated.)
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers
How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy
The Writer's Guide to Creating a Science Fiction Universe
Bird by Bird
Them's Fightin' Words!
Spunk and Bite--so I can learn how to write like Bandit and miko

There are half a zillion emags and print mags out there that take stories, but only a select few that the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America recognize for membership qualification. Find them here.




Kersley Fitzgerald is an idiot who didn't back up her 8-yo hard drive. She lost PowerPoint, Access, Publisher, and 13 years worth of guitar music. But not her writing or most of her photos. How lucky is she that she wrote this post before her computer crashed and she now has all these bookmarks listed? Pretty dang lucky. But not so lucky that she still has the file with all her passwords in it.

Oy vey
blog comments powered by Disqus