About

Magazines & Anthologies
Rampant Loon Media LLC
Our Beloved Founder and Editor-in-Chief
Our SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Follow us on Facebook!


MAGAZINES & ANTHOLOGIES

Read them free on Kindle Unlimited!
 

 

 

 

 

Blog Archive

Sunday, September 27, 2009

And the winner is...

Last week, Bruce explained why he continues to run the Friday Challenge after all these years. While I haven't been associated with the Friday Challenge for nearly as long -- two years this December -- I've seen a lot of good writers come and go over that time, yet it never even occurs to me to stop taking part in the challenge. So why do I stick around?

It's fun to see what my imagination does with the ideas we get each week. Every story I've written for the challenge is a story I would not have written otherwise. Each of those stories is a personal discovery made possible by the Friday Challenge.

It's just as much fun to where each of the other entrants' imagination takes them. I am continually amazed at the diversity of stories that emerge from the challenge ideas.

But what I really love most about the challenge is the feedback I receive from all of you and from Bruce. Brief though they are, the critiques provide a lot of insight for me. I know I am a better writer now because of these critiques. Put simply, you guys are my writing group and I find your feedback invaluable.

Most importantly, I value the human connections I've made with each of you. I may never get the chance to meet any of you in person (though I'm hoping NASFIC will help with that), but I think of you all as friends. And now I get to pass judgement on you. How's that for friendship?

Miko - Everyone has been impressed with your first entry to the challenge. You write a compelling story with a weighty question, the answer to which you show us rather than tell us. That's where the true power of your story comes from. Show, don't tell, is a vital lesson all writers must learn. Obviously, you've already learned that lesson.

Henry - I'm not sure how many of you picked up on my Jeeves and Wooster reference, though at least two of you did. Topher got it and Arisia looked up Bertie. Seeing that Hugh Laurie played Bertie in the BBC series, she took an interesting path by viewing Bertie as a weathly version of House. Please, Arisia, read some of the Jeeves novels. Wooster and House are diametric opposites of each other. But I am pleased people picked up on my background and enjoyed my little piece of fluff.

Al - You gave us another weighty subject; what it means to be human. As Miko did, you also do a very good job of showing us how Luis changes and how his companions view of his changes as well. In end, without speech, we're wondering if there's anything of Luis left. Then you show us that there is; letting Luis's actions answer the question.

Arisia - Your story gets off to a great start, introducing a neat mystery that would be interesting to follow to its conclusion. Unfortunately, that would probably take a novel and we were constrained to 1000 words. I liked what was there a lot, but it's incomplete as is. Please consider finishing the story!

Topher - I'm tempted to copy/paste my comments for Arisia for your story, too. Depending upon what you have in mind, it's possible you could finish the story with another 1000 - 2000 words or this could be the setup for a novel. Once again, I really liked what was there but it's incomplete right now.

Waterboy - You wrote an entire short story just as the lead-in to a pun. The only thing more awesome than that would be to write an entire novel just as the lead-in to a pun! Even if I didn't manage to catch the pun the first time I read it (for which I hang my head in shame and abject humiliation), I did get it the second time. Once I caught the pun, your ending didn't feel abrupt after all. Oh, and you get the special Challenger Badge of Courage for using the comments to record the entire story.

After considering my opinions and the opinions of everyone who posted comments, I declare Miko the winner, with Al and Waterboy in a tie for runner-up. Alas, there is no prize for the runners-up. Miko, take a look behind Door #3 and follow the instructions to claim your prize!
blog comments powered by Disqus