About

Magazines & Anthologies
Rampant Loon Media LLC
Our Beloved Founder and Editor-in-Chief
Our SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Follow us on Facebook!


MAGAZINES & ANTHOLOGIES

Read them free on Kindle Unlimited!
 

 

 

 

 

Blog Archive

Sunday, December 6, 2009

And the winner is...

The comments piled up fast for this challenge, which is always a Good Thing. Apparently it was Claymore's turn to get bitten by JS Kit's multiple-post bug. Don't worry, Claymore, we're all familiar with it by now and know you didn't break the rules of netiquette! Now, let's take a look at this week's entries.

Miko gives us three dimensional poem, one which can be read multiple ways and which has depth regardless of how one reads it. Much of the poem speak directly to me, being on the far side of 50, and generally gets it right. Very nicely done and, as torainfor said, a little convicting.

Topher wrote a Thanksgiving horror story; one I admit lost me at the end. The story had good pacing and drew me into Jason's situation. Instead of developing into something Twilight Zonish, it suddenly went off into psycho land as Jason drugs then kills everyone in his "family." In the end, my best guess is that Jason is some kind of psychotic who selects a family and begins to visualize himself as a part of the family. Terrific pacing, though.

Passingthrough's
entry is another celebration of family and food and the people who make those two things go together. Your story reminds me of many Thanksgiving dinners in my own family, though you'd have to substitute men watching football for working in the fields. For once, I'm pleased to say your story isn't quite the same peek into a totally different way of life. All in all, a wonderful story from wonderful memories. And I'm right there with you when it comes to instant mashed potatoes!

Torainfor wrote "Sufficiency Day," a neat little extrapolation on Thanksgiving from a Martian point of view. What I particularly liked about the story is that it shows family is family, where ever you live and whatever the circumstances of your birth. Fortunately, the family in the story is one I see mostly in stories rather than real life. The story didn't really have a traditional plot, instead being simply a slice of life look into a family struggling to actually be a family. Very well done.

Arisia's "Thanksgiving 2039" was easily the longest entry this week. I found it quite compelling, enjoying the fact of a husband who, year after year, finds he is most thankful for his wife. As I was reading the story, I honestly wondered how you were going to get 11 pages out of it. But that's because I thought the object of the story was to save Kate rather than to explore what effect this all had on Josh. I'm a sucker for happy endings and am glad Josh survived; because I still want that flying car, you know! Great stuff.

Excellent entries all around, but I'm in agreement with those of you who actually cast votes. Arisia wins this week for! Come on down and make a selection from behind Door #3!
blog comments powered by Disqus