About

Magazines & Anthologies
Rampant Loon Media LLC
Our Beloved Founder and Editor-in-Chief
Our SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Follow us on Facebook!


MAGAZINES & ANTHOLOGIES

Read them free on Kindle Unlimited!
 

 

 

 

 

Blog Archive

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Critical Thinking

I went to B&N yesterday because I needed to kill time. (Like I needed an excuse?) Found a couple of books I'd like to have and texted them to Maj Tom. Then bought him a CD set of Louis L'Amour stories narrated by country singers. He's read so much of my stuff, plus stuff I've been handing him, lately, that I wanted to thank him by letting him listen to westerns on his drive to work.

(BTW: I handed him the gift K&B sent him. Although otherwise a man very much in touch with his feelings, a childhood trauma (something about underwear in his stocking) has left him unable to react to gifts. Although he did hold a grudge for five years when I bought him the wrong leather jacket for Christmas, three months after we'd started dating. Anyway, he opened the package and said, "Oh, wow. The original Shane." Then he proceeded to tell me about the movie for fifteen minutes. For him, that's weeping in delight.)

At any rate, I stood before the two bookcases in the Science Fiction/Fantasy section marked "Recent Releases." This is what I found:

Swords and Sandals and Sorcerers: 45%
Vampires and Zombies (or, in one case, "Xombies"): 45%
Near-future cyberbunk--I mean--cyberpunk: 9.9%
Hot-woman-in-a-tight-spacesuit-space-opera (cus, apparently that's a genre): 0.1%
Hard SciFi: 0%
Military SciFi: 0%

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to convince me and all the other hobbitses (and hirsute elves) that our sci fi endeavors are not in vain and there really is no need for us to give up this writing gig and learn how to be goat farmers.




Kersley Fitzgerald is a wannabe author who sometimes wonders the exact nature of the livestock regulations within her city limits.
blog comments powered by Disqus