About

Magazines & Anthologies
Rampant Loon Media LLC
Our Beloved Founder and Editor-in-Chief
Our SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Follow us on Facebook!


MAGAZINES & ANTHOLOGIES

Read them free on Kindle Unlimited!
 

 

 

 

 

Blog Archive

Sunday, December 13, 2009

And the winner is...

The entries for the Letter to Santa challenge were as widely divergent as possible, given only four entries and what I thought to be the somewhat restricting nature of the challenge. Let's take a look at the entries

Miko wrote a heartfelt and touching letter from a young boy asking for his Great Grammy to get what she really wants. This is more poignant because, though the boy does not realize it, he is asking Santa to let his great grandmother die. The letter was just the right length with a great "little boy" final note thanking, under duress, Santa for the sweater. Excellent stuff.

Arisia entered a poem I'm guessing is at least somewhat autobiographical. With great economy of words, she gives us all the background necessary to understand the writer's past life and the simple, though life-sustaining, things she wants from her current life. A poem such as What I Want could have easily become preachy, yet it does not. It could have become pedantic, yet it does not. The poem stays true to its message, presenting it simply, starkly and effectively. That's impressive in itself. It's also the entry in least compliance with the challenge, but it gets close enough to be a valid entry.

Next up is the bandit's more traditional letter to Santa, though this time from an adult rather than a child. He also scores as the winner of this week's coveted Suck Up Award for including a sleigh ride request for me. I can thoroughly sympathize with Jakeb, having had a difficult time even landing interviews when I unemployed last spring. I liked Jakeb's willingness to start at the bottom and work his way up. Even better, I like Jakeb using Santa's own "Naughty and Nice" list as a further example of Jakeb's sterling character. Most of all, I liked Jakeb's use of rhyme; something I think Santa would appreciate. Jakeb's letter finishes on the requisite positive note, suggesting a time for the interview but offering to make an appointment if the suggested time doesn't work. I find the cover letter far more difficult to write than the resume, as you have to strike just the right positive note without tumbling over into bragging. The bandit does a great job of maintaining that balance. Very good stuff, despite the bandit's "first draft" protestations.

Finally, there Vidad. What can we say about Vidad that hasn't been said in the past? We've already suggested counseling. We've already discussed his appalling lack of sanity. We've already plotted to send assassins for hire to knock him- Ahem. Pay no attention to that last bit, Vidad. Just a bit of pre-Christmas humor. Ha ha! Just make sure you're the only one in the family to answer the door today. Seriously, now, Vidad continues to display an amazing range of talents, providing yet another reason why we all dispi- um, love him and look forward to his off-beat entries. And, boy, is Messin Wit Da Phat Man right up there among the most off-beat entries he's ever had. The only other armed Santa I recall is the one in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I suspect only Vidad could have read this week's challenge and come up with a roof top firefight. Laugh out loud funny and surprisingly easy to listen to for rap, this is everything we've learned to expect from Vidad in his more...creative...moments.

So, who wins this week? A quick read through the comments didn't help since I'm not entirely sure any of you actually voted. torainfor seems to have voted for Vidad, but she may have also been dangling the vote in front of him to draw him into the "huggy-jacket." That's the closest thing we have to a vote. Fortunately for all of you, voting is not a requirement to be a Friday Challenger. I suppose I could even take your failure to vote for a winner as a vote of confidence in your Supreme Leader wit and wisdom. But Bruce isn't judging this contest, so you'll have to settle for the opinion of the Temporary Assistant Supreme Leader. And the TASL had a tough time choosing a winner this week.

It's now been three hours since I wrote everything that came before this line. I've been thinking about this week's winner and also fixing a broken toilet. After multiple trips to the hardware store due to some poor selections on my part and incomplete advice on a sales associate's part and after spending far more time than necessary trying to worm my way around the toilet to replace the shut-off valve, I have had plenty of time to put this week's entries into perspective. Rest assured, my irritatingly long repair job didn't affect my decision, it just gave me lots of time with nothing else to do but think on the issue.

After contorting my aging body in ways it is no longer willing to contort, you'd think that humor would win the day. And I must admit that I was sorely (ha!) tempted to pick Vidad's entry this week. It was over-the-top fun and still makes me laugh out loud. But it's not really a letter to Santa. No, this week I'm picking the bandit's "rough first draft" letter requesting a job interview with Santa. Not only did it hit all the right notes for an actual letter, he also worked some nice rhyming. So, bandit, you're this week's winner! Come on down and make your selection from what's behind Door #3.
blog comments powered by Disqus