About

Magazines & Anthologies
Rampant Loon Media LLC
Our Beloved Founder and Editor-in-Chief
Our SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Follow us on Facebook!


MAGAZINES & ANTHOLOGIES

Read them free on Kindle Unlimited!
 

 

 

 

 

Blog Archive

Sunday, May 30, 2010

And the winner is...

I know you're all hoping for an announcement concerning the Land Before ZIP Codes, but this isn't it. The holiday weekend has cut into the judges' time, so that announcement will be made on Monday. That leaves Cliff Clavin in the 25th Century, for which we are prepared to announce a winner.

Ernest T. Scribbler
Henry says:
This is an amusing entry, from the play off of moron to the sense of virility brought by a hair piece. And I suppose a Klingon might gain some status wearing a member of a race officially designated "Enemy of the Klingon Empire" on his head. But would any Klingon admit to needing to restore his sense of virility? On the other hand, would Cliff Clavin realize this? So many questions from such a short entry; it makes my head hurt. Nicely done.

Bruce says:
"Scribbler" whoever he or she really is -- I suppose I could look it up, but am disinclined -- made me laugh.

Kersley will be heard from at the end (applies to all three entries).

Avery
Henry says:
Criticizing Klingon drinks in a Klingon bar is just the right kind of foolish for Cliff. But I can see him getting the Klingons intrigued about tequila. Or, more correctly, desperate to get their hands on some to show that they are mightier drinkers than the puny humans. Playing both on the Klingon self-image of tough and mighty warriors works just right for Cliff in the 25th century.

Bruce says:
Avery's was entertaining, too.

Miko
Henry says:
The story of Mike the chicken sounded strangely possible, so I Googled it. And apparently it is true. This is the kind of stuff that Cliff Clavin would have carried around in his head for decades, waiting for just the right moment to toss out. I can readily see him using this story in some way, though for a know-it-all he obviously didn't know enough to not call himself chicken around a bunch of Klingons. Good research on a real Clavinism.

Bruce says:
Miko's story makes me depressed to admit that yes, I've known about Mike the headless chicken for years, but never found an excuse to use the story.

And the winner is...
The judges enjoyed all of the entries this week and could easily see any of the three them being selected by the judges. In the end, the judging of this challenge was pretty subjective.

Henry says: For me, the story that struck the purest chord is Avery's "A Warrior's Drink." He gets my vote this week.

Bruce says: I defer to your judgment. I'm okay with picking any of them.

Kersley says: My vote's for Avery. It just seems particularly appropriate. Although the other two are funny, as well.

So, Avery, you're this week's winner! Come on down and select your prize from behind Door #3.

And remember to check back tomorrow evening to see who wins the Land Before ZIP Codes challenge.
blog comments powered by Disqus